The two things that have contributed the most towards my growth and retention, are my protective styles using Hermain Custom Made Wigs and my home made deep conditioners and masks.
I have a curl pattern of 4C hair, which means that my coils are tight and has a shrinkage percentage of more than 60%. It therefore looks a lot shorter than it really is when it has just been washed. I have soft and fine 4C hair which needs a lot of protection and care as it is prone to breakage.
I perform a deep condition or moisture retention hair mask on my hair every 2-4 weeks. I also use protein treatments every 6- 12 weeks. When I first started my natural hair journey, I deep conditioned my hair every 1-2 weeks until my hair reached a certain length.
Please check out the ingredients below for one of my favourite deep conditioner treatments which I have used since the beginning of my hair journey and will never let go of.
1. ORS Hair Mayonnaise is a great conditioning treatment of whole egg protein, olive oil, soybeans, safflower oil, wheat germ oil, and nettle for everyone who wants to maintain healthy, vibrant hair. (2 table spoons).
2. Hibiscus Flower Powder helps to renew the scalp which promotes hair growth as it is rich in Vitamin C, it boosts collagen, it stimulates blood flow to the scalp and aids in removing dandruff, It unclogs pores and clears the scalp of excess sebum, ensuring healthy hair, growth and volume. It also has amino acids which nourish the hair and strengthen your roots. It gives your hair a gentle sheen and soft glow. Hibiscus stimulates hair growth in dormant follicles. (1 table spoon).
3. Amla Powder has a high concentration of vitamin E, which promotes healing to your scalp, healthy circulation and cell regeneration. It prevents hair loss and also helps to tackle annoying things like dandruff, as it conditions your scalp. It adds volume to your hair and boosts your curls and waves. (1 table spoon).
4. Coconut milk contains nutrients which boosts hair follicles and promotes hair growth. It is perfect for restoring dry and damaged hair with split ends.
5. Essential Oils are oils which have been extracted from plants. My favourite two to use (2-3 drops each)is: Peppermint oil (increased follicle depth and overall hair growth) and Rosemary oil which improves hair thickness and growth.
Please leave a comment if you try out the recipe and let me know how it goes. You can also buy natural ingredients for the recipe on the website. Just go to shop and click on the "Deep Conditioner & Hair Mask ingredients tab!x